Tapioca - 500 gms / 2 tubers
Grated coconut -1 cup
Green chillies- 4-5
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Garlic - 1/2 cloves
Shallots - 3
Cumin- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as required
1. Peel and clean tapioca tubers , Make them into medium sized cubes
2. Boil water in a pot and add tapioca. After 5-8 minutes when the water becomes starchy, drain the water and add fresh water .(Repeat this if your tapioca is very starchy) .
3. Add turmeric powder and salt to this and cook the tapioca till it is ready to mash . Drain if there is excess water
4. Meanwhile crush the grated coconut, green chillies , shallots,few curry leaves , cumin and garlic together
5. Add the coconut mixture to the cooked tapioca and mix well .
6. Finally add 1 tbsp coconut oil and mix
Kerala fish curry
Fish -1kg washed cut and cleaned
Kashmiri Chilly Powder/Piriyan mulaku podi- 2 tbsp
Red chilly powder- 1/2 tbsp or 2 green chillies
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder- 1tbsp
Cumin Powder- a pinch
Shallots- 1/2 cup chopped
Garlic- 1tbsp crushed
Fenugreek -1/2 tsp
Kudampuli/Kokum/Garcinia- 3-4 numbers, washed and soaked in water
Cooking Oil (coconut oil preferred)
1. Make a paste with all the powders in a blender using enough water
2. Heat oil in a chatti/vessel and splutter mustard seeds, Add fenugreek ,when they turn brown add chopped shallots,ginger garlic,and green chillies(if using).Saute until the shallots turn brown
3. Reduce the heat and add the paste and stir until oil separates.
4. Add 2 cups water(more if required)soaked kudampuli and salt and allow it to boil.When boiling ,slide the fish pieces into the chatti /vessel.Throw in some curry leaves.
5.Close with a lid and allow it to cook (around 15-20 minutes)with occasional swirling of the chatti
6. When the fish is cooked,remove the lid and keep until gravy thickens or until the desired thickness is obatined.
7. Switch off the stove.Crush some curry leaves with hands and pour 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil along with the crushed curry leaves.Close and allow to cool.Check salt and adjust.
Note : Keeping the curry for atleast 6-8 hours undisturbed before serving will increase the taste.Mulaku pottichathu /Onion -red chilly chutney
Shallots -10 ,chopped
Red chillies - 6-8
Tamarind - a pinch
Oil - 1-2 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a pan, Saute red chillies and remove it from oil
2. Now to the same oil add the shallots and curry leaves
Saute till it is soft and brown in color.Remove from oil
3. When it is cool, grind /pulse in a mixer along with salt and tamarind
4. Add oil (coconut oil adds taste) to the mix and serve with Kappa
This is good for Idli and Dosa also