Bread - 10 slices, cubed , (removing side skin is optional)
Egg-3 at Room Temperature
Sugar- 3/4 Cup (1/2 + 1/4 cup)
Milk- 3 Cup
Butter - 50 gm
1. Separate the white and yellow of the eggs into two different vessels.
2. Beat the yellow with a spoon and add the milk into it.Mix well and keep aside.
3. Caramelise half cup sugar in a thick bottomed vessel.When the sugar starts melting ,give occasional stirring.
4.When the sugar is completely caramelised ,it turns golden brown color.Turn off the stove and add butter to it. It melts ,mix it well with the caramelised sugar.Allow it to cool by removing from the stove and keeping aside .
5.When it is cooled , add the milk- egg yellow mix to the caramel syrup and mix well. If the caramel syrup becomes hard, you can heat it with 1/4 cup water and make it into fluid state . Take care not to add very hot caramel syrup to the egg-milk mix, because the egg will get cooked.
6. Arrange the bread pieces in a buttered baking pan.Pour the caramel syrup- milk mix to it and allow bread pieces to soak in it
5. Meanwhile beat the egg white,adding 1/4 cup sugar occasionally.Beat it well to a thick meringue stage/stiff peak .
6. Spread the meringue above the soaked bread pieces and mix lightly with it using a fork .Allow it to seep into the bread-caramel syrup mix.
7.Preheat oven to 375 F /180 C and bake for 35-45 minutes .or until the top develops a golden brown color crust.
8. Cool and keep it in refrigerator.
# Pudding in the picture looks thin because my baking dish was over sized for the quantity of ingredients
Recipe courtesy : Lakshmi Nair - Magic Oven