Banana Flower /Vazhachundu - 1
Cooked red chori/moong dal /toor dal - 1/2 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 2 or 3
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Garlic /Shallots -1 or 2 (optional)
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Red chillies -2 or 3
Mustard- 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil (coconut oil prefered)
Salt - as required
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
To remove the stain -:
1. Mix water with salt, turmeric powder and half tsp oil in a bowl .
2. Clean and remove the 3 /4 outer layers of vazhachundu .Chop it finely .or You can use a food processor. Put the chopped flower in the above water for about 15 minutes .
3. After 15 minutes , take them out and squeeze the water out.
To cook -:
1. Crush grated coconut ,green chillies, cumin and garlic /shallots together
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds .Then add curry leaves and split red chillies
3.Add the chopped vazhachundu and salt along with half cup of water .
4. When it is half done , add the crushed coconut mix and cooked red chori/moong dal /toor dal.
5.Close with a lid and cook till the water gets completely dried.
Serve hot with rice