Ingredients (10-12 cutlets)
Boneless Chicken - 3/4 cup ,cooked and minced
Potato- 1 medium, peeled,cooked and mashed
Onion- 1 medium, finely chopped
Green chillies- 2-3 chopped
Ginger - 1 tsp chopped
Garlic- 1 tsp chopped
Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- 3/4 tsp
Garam Masala -1/2 tsp
Egg - 1 beaten
Bread crumbs - 1 cup (I used store bought bread crumbs, but it can be made at home )
1. Cook chicken with salt and water in a vessel, cool it and then mince using fork or a mixer .Cook potato and mash it .Keep both of these aside
2. Heat oil in a pan add the fennel seeds, followed by curry leaves,ginger, garlic, green chillies and onion .Saute till onion turns soft and light brown.
3. Add the pepper powder and garam masala and mix well.
4. Add the minced chicken followed by mashed potato.Mix everything well.Check salt .Switch off heat and allow it to cool .
5. When the mixture is cooled or bearable warm , make small balls out of it using hands and make shapes of your choice-round, oval or cylindrical.
6. Dip the cutlets in beaten egg and roll them in the bread crumbs.Take care to completely cover it with bread crumbs.
7. Deep /Shallow fry it in oil .Serve hot with onion salad and tomato ketchup !!!
Note :1. You can keep the bread crumb rolled cutlets in freezer for 1-2 weeks in ready to fry form in air tight containers.
2.You can make beef or mutton cutlet with the same recipe.
3. Vegetable cutlets can be made with more vegetables -beans, carrot ,peas etc in place of chicken.
How to make Bread crumbs : Any type of bread can be used -white, wheat ,sour dough ..etc.Allow it to dry in room temperature.Or bake them in oven 300 F for 10-15 minutes,lined on a baking sheet.Flip them in halfway so they get dried uniformly.
Dry until it can be crumbled in a mixer/blender .Remove from oven and cool.When it is dried well crumble them in a mixer/blender/ food processor to a coarse texture.You can keep it in freezer in air tight containers.
Onion salad : Crush thinly sliced onion with a pinch of salt and one tsp of lemon juice.