Cheera/Red Spinach - 500 gm
Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
Red chilly powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Urad dal- 1/2 tsp
Red chillies- 2
1. Separate cheera leaves from the stem,wash and clean.You can use tender stems too.
2. Drain the leaves and tender stems in a paper towel or colander.Dry completely before chopping.
3. Chop the spinach finely
4. Crush and mix the grated coconut,red chilly powder, and turmeric powder together.Keep aside
5. Heat oil in a pan ,and splutter mustard seeds, add red chillies, curry leaves and urad dal and fry it until it is brown in color
6. Add the chopped red spinach /cheera leaves and saute .Volume will get reduced to less than half and then add salt.No need to add water.Cheera will cook in in its own water
7. Add the grated coconut mix and cook covered for few minutes.Then open the lid and mix well.
8. Stir the thoran continuously and switch off the stove when the water is completely evaporated.
Serve hot with rice !!!