Chicken - Boneless or boned- 250 gm cubed.
Onion - 1 medium,thinly sliced
Ginger- 1tsp chopped
Garlic- 1 tsp chopped
Chilly powder -1- 2tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Powder- 1 pinch
Garam Masala - 1 tsp (or grind 2 cloves,1 cardamom, 2 pepper corns,1 inch cinnamon stick, 1/2 bay leaf,to a fine powder)
Oil- 3 tbsp -preferably coconut oil
1. Mix grated coconut,chopped onion, garlic,ginger,salt ,and all powders together in a bowl.Crush it together with hands or pulse it in a mixer .Do not grind to a paste. We need a crushed form
2. Add this to chicken and mix well .Keep it for 30 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the marinated chicken to this oil and cook covered in a medium heat until chicken produces enough water to cook . So no need to add water.
4. Remove the lid and cook uncovered with occasional stirring. All water will be evaporated.
5. Now add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil with curry leaves, reduce heat to low and roast the chicken until it attains the reddish brown color. Stir occasionally . It will take 30-40 minutes for the entire cooking.
6. When the color is attained , remove from heat and serve hot with rice, chappati, ghee rice,appam etc...
Note : a)If you use boned chicken , the chicken may fall apart from bone. Its fine ..If you use boneless chicken you can crush the chicken pieces with a wooden spoon just before removing from heat and can make it look like a thoran!!
b) Do not close lid,after adding 2 tbsp oil for roasting.