Short grained rice - 1 cup, I used Sona Masoori
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup
Ginger- 1 inch piece,peeled and thinly sliced
Whole pepper corns - 1tsp
Cumin- 1 tsp
Asafoetida- a pinch
Cashew nuts- 10-12,whole or halved
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
1. Wash the rice and moon dal well until the water runs clear
2. Mix them and cook it in a pressure cooker with 3 cups (vary depending on the type of rice you use) of water. If you use an Indian pressure cooker , 3-4 whistles are enough. Add enough salt before cooking
3. When rice is ready it will be soft and creamy. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Now add peppercorn and cumin. Stir in ginger,saute till a nice aroma comes.
4. Now add a pinch of Asafoetida, and curry leaves ,Stir it for 2-3 seconds and remove from heat. Remove the whole spices from the ghee ,with a sppon, leaving the ghee behind.
5. Add one more tbsp of ghee and heat it. Add the cashew nuts and roast it.
6. Add the spices, and roasted nuts to the cookes rice and mix well.
1.Wash and clean the rice and moong dal.
2. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a vessel and splutter mustard seeds. Now add peppercorn and cumin. Stir in ginger,saute till a nice aroma comes.Now add a pinch of Asafoetida, and curry leaves ,Stir it for 2-3 seconds.
3. Add the cleaned rice and moong dal,stir well. Pour in water .Add salt and cook covered in low -med heat with occasional stirring (if you are using an open vessel.
4. When the rice is soft and creamy,and most of the water is evaporated, Pongal is ready.
5. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan, roast the cashew nut in it. Top the Pongal with this nuts . Serve hot !!