Mushroom - 8 oz /250 gm cleaned and chopped
Onion - 1 big, chopped
Tomato -1 pureed(2tbsp tomato puree, or 2 tbsp tomato paste mixed with equal amount of water to make puree)
Bell pepper - 1/2 cup cubed- green and red bell peppers
Cumin- 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1tsp
Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp - optional
Dry Kasoori methi
Yogurt - 1/4 to 1/2 cup Reduce the quantity depending on sourness
Heavy cream - 2tbsp - optional
1. Heat oil in a pan and stir in cumin seeds, when the sizzle, add onion and salt .Saute until onion turns soft and brown.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till its raw smell goes.
3. Pour in the tomato puree and cook it till the oil separates ,and the gravy thickens.
4. Meanwhile, add cumin, chilly, turmeric and coriander powders to the yogurt and mix well. If using Garam masala, add that too.
5. Once the gravy is done, add the above yogurt to this and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes. If your gravy is too thick add 1/2 cup of water at times according to the consistency.
6. Remove the sauce from heat and keep aside.
7. Cut the mushrooms to medium sized pieces , not too thin not too thick . Heat Ghee in a pan and stir in a handful of chopped mushrooms. Do not over crowd the pan.Each piece should touch the pan . This should be done in high heat.
8. Mushroom will sizzle then turn golden brown in color. Flip each piece so that both sides turn golden brown and crusty.
9. Remove the mushrooms from ghee and drop it in the sauce/gravy. Add next batch and repeat the same.
10. Stir in the cubed bell peppers to the same pan and saute until they are fired enough.
11. Drop the bell peppers to the gravy and mix well.
12. Crumble the kasoori methi over the gravy , using your hands.
13. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.Turn off heat and stir in heavy cream if you are using it. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with basmati rice, chapati,or naan!!!
Recipe Courtesy : A Curry of Life