Ash gourd/Winter melon/Kumbalanga - 3/4 cup skin removed,cut and cubed
Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
Tamarind Juice- 2 tbsp (half of a gooseberry sized ball,soaked in warm water and juice extracted)
Cumin- 1/2 tsp
Green chillies- 2 split
1. Cook ash gourd in enough water ,with turmeric powder and green chillies.
2. Mean while grind grated coconut ,one or two shallots, cumin together to a fine paste.
3. When ash gourd is done add tamarind juice to this and boil for a few minutes.
4. Add ground coconut to this and heat for 2-3 minutes.Remove from heat
5. Heat oil in another pan , splutter mustard seeds, add red chillies, curry leaves and chopped shallots.Saute until the shallots are brown .Pour this into the curry.
Serve hot with rice !!