Toor Dal- 3/4 cup
Potato - 1 cup ,peeled and cubed
Carrot - 1/2 cup peeled and cubed
Drumstick - 2-3 pieces,2 inch size
Onion- 1 medium sized,cubed
Tomato - 1 medium, cubed
Beans - 2-3,chopped into 1 inch size pieces
Okra - 2 ,chopped into 1 inch size pieces
Brinjal - 1 medium size,chopped into 1 inch pieces(optional)
Green chillies- 2 split
Red chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Sambar powder- 1 tsp (I used Eastern Sambar Powder)
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 2-3
Tamarind - gooseberry sized piece soaked in warm water for 15 minutes and juice extracted
1. Wash and cook toor dal in pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles
2. Now add the cubed vegetables except okra and tomato to it and again cook for 1 whistle
3. Add the tamarind juice,asafoetida, turmeric, chilly, and sambar powder to it and boil until the sambar attains required consistency.Adjust salt.
4. Heat oil in a pan and fry the okra and then add tomato and saute it.Add this to the gravy.
5. Heat oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds,add red chillies,curry leaves and chopped shallots and fry until shallots turn brown in color.
5. Pour this over the cooked sambar and mix gently.