Basmati Rice- 2 cups
Cinnamon stick - 1,half inch
Water : 4 1/2 cup or as per your basmati rice pack instruction
1. Usually I cook rice in pressure cooker,Boil the water,add salt, ghee,and whole spices.To this add the washed and cleaned rice.Keep the lid without weight ,and when steam comes, put the weight and turn off after one whistle.When the pressure is released fully, take the rice out of the cooker and spread in a large plate and break the crumbs using a fork.Allow it to cool and keep aside
You can follow this method or you can cook rice in an open thick bottomed vessel.
Step 2 Making the nut paste
Cashew nuts: 1/4 cup
Almonds- 1/4 cup
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp(optional)
Milk- 1/4 cup
Soak cashew nuts and almonds in milk for 30 minutes and then grind it into a fine paste using the same milk.Keep it aside.
Step 3 Preparing the Vegetables :
Green beans - 1/2 cup chopped
Carrot- 1/2 cup chopped
Green peas - 1/2 cup
Cauliflower- 10-12 small florets
Potato- 1/2 cup cubed
Directions: Cook carrot,beans and potato in a vessel with enough water.Add 1/4 tsp of sugar to retain the color of the vegetables.
When it is almost cooked add the cauliflower florets and green peas.Let it cook and remove from heat and drain excess water.Keep aside.
Step 4 Making the Masala
Onion -2 medium, thinly sliced
Tomato - 1 medium chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1-2 tbsp
Chilly powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Spice masala powder- 1tbsp
Coriander leaves- 1/4 cup chopped
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
Yogurt- 1/4 cup
Note : 1)You can fry the onions to golden brown color.If you want to use less oil , then sauteing while making masala will be enough.But frying will add more taste
2) You can avoid yogurt if you dont want a tangy taste to the biriyani.But authentic mughalai biriyani has yogurt in it.
Spice masala powder-Dry roast 2 cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick,4-5 cloves,Mace- 1/2 tsp,Black pepper corns 2 tsp,Shah jeera 1/2 tsp and cumin 1 tsp together and grind them to a fine powder )
1.Heat oil in a pan,add the ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell goes .Then add onion and saute until golden brown then add the tomato,make it soft and mushy.(If you are using fried onion,first add the tomatoes and when it becomes soft add the fried onions and mix well)
2. Add the Nut paste and all powders
3. Now add the cooked vegetables and mix well.Throw in the chopped mint and coriander leaves,salt and keep the lid and cook it in low heat for 2-3 minutes.
4. Switch off the stove and add the yogurt .Take care not to curdle it.Check salt.
Step 5 For Garnishing
Onion - 1 medium thinly sliced
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
Mint leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
Cashew nuts - 6-8
Saffron milk - 2-3 saffron strands mixed in 3 tbsp of milk
Method Heat oil or ghee in a pan and fry the onions to golden brown,then fry the cashew nuts and raisins..Drain all of it in a paper towel
Step 6 Layering
1. Take a large baking dish ,Lightly oil it.
2. Layer the biriyani in following order first-half of the cooked rice,then the whole vegetable masala above that, and then the remaining half of the rice .Top it with fried onion, raisins,cashew nuts,chopped mint,coriander leaves and drizzle saffron milk
3. Cover the dish with foil and keep it in oven at 350 F for 10-15 minutes.
4. If you dont have an oven ,you can try this dum method in microwave,with a microwaveable dish.or on stove top by keeping the lid and and a low heat
Step 7 Devour the spicy Mughalai biriyani with raita ,pappad, or pickle