Urad dal/uzhunnu - 1 cup
Green chillies- 2-3 chopped
Shallots -4-5 chopped
Ginger - 1 tsp chopped
Whole black pepper - 5-6 nos
Curry leaves - 5-6 chopped
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp -optional,to make the vada very soft
Oil for frying
1. Wash and soak the urad dal/uzhunnu for 4 hrs
2. Drain the water and dry the uzhunnu to max(you can try pat drying ,using paper towel)
3. Grind it to a fine paste adding enough salt.If possible(i.e. if your mixer allows) avoid adding water.If needed add 2 tbsp water.
4. Add all other chopped ingredients and mix well.Keep this for 30 min to 1 hr.
5. Heat oil in a wok.Drop a pinch of the batter to check whether the oil is hot enough.If it comes up to the oil surface immediately,then the oil is hot enough.
6. Wet your palm with cold water,take a small portion of the batter with other hand ,and put on the wet palm and make a ball.Then slightly press it to flatten and make a hole at the center using finger.
7. Slid this into the hot oil.Cook until the vada is golden brown.
remove from hot oil using a slotted spoon and drain the vada in a paper towel.
Serve with coconut chutney!!
Note :You need the right consistency to get the vada shape, so if your batter is too watery add a few tsp of urad dal powder(grind dry urad dal in mixer to a fine powder).
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Green chillies- 2-3
Curry leaves- 4-5
Ginger-1 medium piece
Cooking oil and Mustard seeds-optional
1.Grind the grated coconut,green chillies,2-3curry leaves,shallots,ginger and salt to a coarse paste using a mixer.You can use it as such.This tastes better ,but if you have dosa/idli with vada, go for the second step
2. Optional step : Heat oil in a pan ,splutter mustard seeds,add red chillies and curry leaves and add the above paste to this and cook for 10-20 seconds or until the edges starts frothing .Remove from heat and serve hot with vada,dosa, idly etc..