Basmati Rice - 2 cup
Water -4 cups(adjust according to the instruction given on your basmati rice packet )
Onion - 2 small thinly sliced
Cashew nuts - 1 handful
Raisins - 1 handful
Pistachios/Almonds - 1/4 cup cut into small pieces(optional)
Cinnamon stick- 2 inch ,cut into 2-3 small pieces
Fennel -1/4 tsp
Bay leaf- 1 small cut into 2-3 pieces
Ghee- 4 Tbsp
1. Soak basmati rice for 15-30 minutes in water. Wash and drain the rice. Spread on paper towel and allow to dry.
2.When rice is almost dry , Heat 2tbsp ghee in a pan and add the whole spices,saute for 1 minute.Then add half of the sliced onion and saute until the onion turns light brown.
3. Reduce the heat to low.Add the rice and stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Boil 4 cups water in another heavy bottom or non stick pot, and add the rice -onion-spice mix.Cook in a medium heat. When rice is cooked and completely dried, spread the rice on a plate and break the lumps using fork , if any.
5. Heat 2tbsp ghee in a pan. Fry the raisins first ,then cashew nuts and drain them in a paper towel.Now add half of the sliced onion to the same ghee and fry until it turns golden brown color.
6. Add half of the fried raisins, cashew nuts, onion to the cooked rice and mix carefully .
7. Transfer the rice to serving dish and garnish with rest of the fried raisins, cashew nuts and onion
Serve hot with any non vegetarian side dish or vegetarian korma