Note : To make puttu, you may need a puttu maker/puttu kutti/puttu mould ,or at least a steamer
Puttu podi/Roasted Rice powder- 1 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp (optional)
1. Take the Puttu podi in a deep vessel,add the salt cumin seeds and mix well
2. Add water little by little (approx 2 tbsp at a time)and moisten the powder
3. Using hands ,crush all the lumps formed and Try to make it without lumps as much as possible .Keep aside.Just before filling the mould, give a quick blend using a mixer/blender .Do not grind the powder. ("otta karakkal" in mixie)
4. Layer the puttu maker/ kutty/mould with coconut first and then the puttu mixture and finally before closing the lid ,final layer of coconut .(total 3 layers of coconut- bottom, middle and top)
5. Steam cook it by keeping the puttu maker/ kutty/mould on a pressure cooker (Prestige cooker only) or a regular puttu making vessel for 5 minutes .
7.If you are using a steamer , mix the puttu mix with coconut and spread the powder mix in steamer,and steam cook.
8.Remove the puttu maker from heat and keep for 2 minutes without disturbing.Put the puttu out of traditional puttu maker using a spoon :) and serve hot with kadala curry, pazham, payar curry and pappadam,
Black /White Channa/Bengal Gram/Chick pea : 1 cup ,soaked overnight
Onion- 1 Large sliced
Green chillies -2-3 split
Garlic- 2 cloves sliced
Dry roasted/Fried coconut - 1/2 cup
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cloves - 2
Whole black pepper - 2
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon stick- 1/2 inch piece
Oil (Coconut oil tastes better)
For Fried/Dry Roasted-coconut (Thenga varuthu arakkan )
Grated coconut - 2 cup (one coconut)Chlli powder - 2 tbsp
Coriander powder 1 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Heat a pan and dry roast the grated coconut until they turn almost dry. Now add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and stir continuously till the coconut turn reddish brown .Now remove the pan from heat allow to cool.You can keep this in air -tight box in refrigerator for more than one month
1. Cook the Black /White Channa/Bengal Gram/Chick pea in a pressure cooker
2. Heat a pan and dry roast/heat the whole spices along with the roasted coconut for a few minutes without adding oil.A nice aroma will come. Grind it all in a mixer to a fine paste and keep aside .Grinding a spoonful of cooked channa will increase taste and thickness of the curry
3. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds ,add green chillies, curry leaves, red chillies , garlic and onion. Saute until onion turns light brown.
4. Add the cooked Black /White Channa/Bengal Gram/Chick pea to it along with required amount of water used to cook the channa in the pressure cooker.Mix well.
5. Add the ground coconut mixture and boil the curry
Serve hot with Puttu :)