Yogurt- 1 Cup well beaten ,without adding water
Raw plantain- 1/2 peeled and cut into medium sized pieces
Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
Ghee- 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
Green chillies- 2-3
Fenugreek powder- a pinch
1. Cook the plantain pieces in a thick bottomed vessel with enough water, turmeric powder and pepper powder.
2. Meanwhile ,grind the coconut with green chillies,and cumin to a fine paste using a little water.
3. When it is done,and water is dried ,add ghee and mix well .Mash the pieces a little bit using a spoon
4. Reduce heat and add the yogurt and stir continuously.Throw in some curry leaves
5. When the liquid from Yogurt evaporates completely,add the coconut paste and mix well.Cook for few more minutes. Adjust salt .Add a pinch of Fenugreek powder.(Or you can use whole fenugreek while tempering)
6.Heat oil in another pan ,splutter mustard seeds,(and fenugreek whole) add curry leaves and red chillies.Pour it over the curry and serve with rice.
Note : It has a good shelf life.Cool and store it in air-tight container.
Recipe courtesy : Pazham pappadam payasam
Version 2 :
If you do not have plantain/yam at home,you can make it without any of them
1. Boil 1/4-1/2 cup water in a thick bottomed vessel with green chillies and turmeric powder.
2. Reduce heat and add the beaten yogurt and stir continuously until all the water evaporates.Throw in some curry leaves
3. Add the ground coconut mix and fenugreek powder.Adjust salt. Cook for few minutes
4. Do tempering.Serve with rice