Basmati Rice- 2cups
Water to cook rice - 4 cups (adjust according to the instruction given on your basmati rice packet )
Onion -1 Big thinly sliced
Potato -1 Medium , peeled and cubed
Carrot- 1/4 of a carrot, peeled and cubed
Beans - 5-6 ,chopped
Tomato - 1 small chopped
Green peas frozen- 1/4 cup thawed
Cinnamon stick - 2" piece
Bay leaf - 1 small
Fennel- 1/4 tsp
Whole black pepper- 3-4
Ginger- 1 medium piece
Garlic- 1 big clove
Green chillies- 2
Chilli Powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander powder-3/4 tsp
Coriander leaves -1 tbsp chopped
Mint leaves - 1 tsp chopped
Cashew nuts- 1/4 cup
1. Heat a pan.Add the whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom, clove, fennel,bay leaf, black pepper) and heat for a few seconds.
2. Grind the above spices along with ginger , garlic, green chillies, turmeric powder and chilli powder to a fine paste ,adding 1 tsp of water.
3. Soak basmati rice for 15-30 minutes in water. Wash and drain the rice, allow it to dry
4. Heat oil/ ghee in a pan in low heat , add rice and stir for 1 minute .Remove from heat and keep aside.
5. Heat oil /ghee in a cooking vessel and add the sliced onion, and all vegetables to it , Saute until it becomes soft .
6. Add the chopped coriander leaves,mint leaves,raisins and cashew nuts.
7. Add the ground paste roast it and mix well.
8. Add required water and boil.When it is boiling add the fried rice and cook keeping a lid .
9. When it is done,remove the lid and allow the water to dry completely.Break the lumps using a fork
Serve hot with Pickle, Raita, Curd, and Pappad