Note : To make puttu, you may need a puttu maker/puttu kutti/puttu mould ,or at least a steamer
Puttu podi/Roasted Rice powder- 1 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp (optional)
1. Take the Puttu podi in a deep vessel,add the salt cumin seeds and mix well
2. Add water little by little (approx 2 tbsp at a time)and moisten the powder
3. Using hands ,crush all the lumps formed and Try to make it without lumps as much as possible .Keep aside.Just before filling the mould, give a quick blend using a mixer/blender .Do not grind the powder. ("otta karakkal" in mixie)
4. Layer the puttu maker/ kutty/mould with coconut first and then the puttu mixture and finally before closing the lid ,final layer of coconut .(total 3 layers of coconut- bottom, middle and top)
5. Steam cook it by keeping the puttu maker/ kutty/mould on a pressure cooker (Prestige cooker only) or a regular puttu making vessel for 5 minutes .
7.If you are using a steamer , mix the puttu mix with coconut and spread the powder mix in steamer,and steam cook.
8.Remove the puttu maker from heat and keep for 2 minutes without disturbing.Put the puttu out of traditional puttu maker using a spoon :) and serve hot with payar curry and pappadam, or kadala curry, or pazham
Payar curry (Moong Dal curry)
Whole green gram/Moong dal- 1 cup
Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1tsp
Red chillies - 3
1. Cook moon dal in pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles .Or soak it in water for 2-3 hours and cook it in an open vessel until its done.
2. Mix the grated coconut, powders and chopped shallots together and crush it with hand , or pulse it in a mixer .
3. Add this to the cooked moong dal and cook for few minutes.Adjust salt. You can drain or add excess water according to your taste for gravy. (Usually payaru curry with puttu is dry ,but we want gravy , so I dont drain the excess water )
4. Heat oil in another pan ,Splutter mustard seeds, add red chillies, curry leaves .Pour this to the Curry .Serve hot with Puttu.This curry goes well with Chapati too.
Puttum Parippum Pappadavum is also a tasty combination..For the recipe click here