Potato -1 Medium,Cut lengthwise into 1 inch pieces
Onion -1/2 cut lengthwise
Carrot - 1/4 of one carrot , cut lengthwise into 1' pieces
Beans/Drumstick - 1 or 2 pieces cut
Dry roasted/Fried coconut - 1/2 cup
Tamarind - 1/2 of a gooseberry size -soak in warm water and extract juice
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Green chillies- 1 or 2 split
Red chillies- 2
For Fried/Dry Roasted-coconut (Thenga varuthu arakkan )
Grated coconut - 2 cup (one coconut)
Chlli powder - 2 tbsp
Coriander powder 1 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Heat a pan and dry roast the grated coconut until they turn almost dry. Now add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and stir continuously till the coconut turn reddish brown .Now remove the pan from heat allow to cool.You can keep this in air -tight box in refrigerator for more than one month
1. Cook the potato and other vegetables in enough water,with turmeric powder,and green chillies.(In some places it is cooked in oil, closing the vessel with a lid , in low heat. Oil used is 2-3 tbsp)
2. Meanwhile grind the fried coconut to a fine paste when it is cool.Grind in a mixer bowl without adding water .When the fried coconut is ground to fine powder add 1/2 cup water and grind again.It will turn into a smooth semi fluid state
3. When the veggies are done, add the tamarind juice and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the ground paste.Cook for 2-3 minutes.Adjust salt.
5. Heat oil in another pan ,Splutter mustard seeds, add red chillies , curry leaves. Pour it into the curry.
Serve hot with Rice !!